We sometimes must disappoint customers who wants their furniture reupholstered by telling them, “It’s just not worth it?”
Here are the reasons to reupholster a piece;
1. It has sentimental value. (We conceived ALL our children on that chaise!)
2. It uniquely fits the space
3. The cushion inserts are all still in great shape and I still like the style
4. It has wonderful exposed wood details. As is the case with this job for Cynthia Robertson Interior Design
Reasons not to reupholster:
1. It is a great frame or manufacturer
2. All of the cushions inserts need replacing. It will cost just as much as buying a new piece.
Reality; as a wholesale manufacturer, we can usually make a new piece for about the same price as reupholstering if we need to replacing the cushions. Our greatest expense is labor and fabric followed by cushions. The frame is a low cost item and the labor to strip off the old fabric makes it almost worthless.
We love to do reupholstery and now you know when it is worth it.